Is pumpkin good for dogs or cats? Is pumpkin healthy to be included in dog food or cat food? Is pumpkin beneficial for a pet’s health? Similar various questions come to the mind of pet parents while searching for the best feeding options. Maintaining a well-balanced diet for pets is no doubt very important to provide them with a healthy lifestyle. Similar to humans, our pets too love pumpkins. With this, it is also a major concern of pet parents to get complete details of feeding pumpkins to their pets. Let us now discuss the complete details of feeding pumpkins to pets.
Can Dogs And Cats Eat Pumpkin?
Pumpkin is great for dogs’ and cats’ health. Pumpkin is a rich source of fiber, low in fats and cholesterol, and loaded with magnesium, beta carotene, iron, zinc, potassium, and vitamins A and C. Thus, it is completely fine to feed them with pumpkin. The canned pumpkin is merely a natural pumpkin in a pureed form. There is canned pumpkin available in the market that helps maintain a pet’s health.
Is Pumpkin Beneficial For Dog And Cat Health?
Canned pumpkin is completely fine to feed pets and is beneficial. Pumpkin is restorative for maintaining a pet’s eyes, skin, coat, or immune system. Pumpkin is also a rich source of fiber. The fiber in canned pumpkin has been verified to aid cats’ and dogs’ digestive tracts. If your dog is denying eating or facing issues with an upset stomach due to heavy eating or some other activity, pumpkin is also a great option that helps in soothing their stomach.
The fiber content in pumpkin acts as a binding resolution through a pet’s digestive system. It soaks extra water by helping pets with diarrhea.
How Much Canned Pumpkin Should Pets Be Fed?
The amount of food that pets should be fed depends on the size of the pet and most importantly the species of pet like dog or cat. For example, a chihuahua requires only a couple of teaspoons of pumpkin with each meal. Whereas on the other hand, Great Dane requires around half a cup of canned pumpkin to benefit their health. Thus, your veterinarian will be the perfect choice in this situation to help with the perfect idea of how and in which amount it should be fed to pets.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Pumpkin For Dogs?
Below are listed some of the health benefits that one can get by feeding pumpkins to dogs.
- Including one to four tablespoons of pumpkin in a regular dog’s diet, it helps to treat diarrhea and constipation.
- When adding pumpkin to your dog’s diet, make sure that your dog drinks plenty of water or any other fiber-rich ingredients to their diet. This is to prevent your pet from dehydration.
- Feed pumpkins as per the weight and species of the pet. Because every pet has different requirements as per their health, weight, etc.
- Pumpkin is a rich source of vitamin A. However, feeding too much vitamin A to dogs may sometimes be toxic to their health. Thus, consult with the veterinarian once, or in case of doubt, it is better to feed less than more to avoid any health issues afterward.
- Canned pumpkin has more nutrients as compared to fresh pumpkin.
- Make sure to feed plain canned pumpkins without any added ingredients, sugar, ingredients, or any other fillers.
For more interesting Blogs, Please Visit Pop Plus Minus
How To Store Pumpkin For Dogs?
There are certain chances that sometimes you have leftover pumpkins. There is no need to worry, here is how to store extra pumpkins left that can be easily used later:
- You can freeze pureed pumpkin. Or if you wish, you can also freeze pureed pumpkins in ice trays and can use that frozen cubes as treats for pets.
- Or else if you are planning to use the rest of the remaining pumpkin quickly, you can simply put it in an airtight container and refrigerate it.
In complement to the existing chock whole of nutrition, pumpkin is a low-calorie meal. This produces a fabulous treat for pets especially overweight pets who require to carve out processed treats that have increased sodium and calories. A tablespoon of pumpkin produces a nutritious and delicious treat for pets. Thus, when you carry out the canned pumpkin to create treats and pumpkin pie, transfer a spoonful of pumpkin with your pet for a fall-inspired treat.
Kwik Pets is a one-stop shop that always thrives to serve the best high-quality products that are required to provide your pet with a well-maintained lifestyle. Here you get everything for your pet ranging from the best quality dog food and cat food that help in providing great nutrition to your pets to cat toys and dog toys that helps in keeping your pet engaged, contented, and happy. So what are you waiting for? Click here and shop now.