A build-over agreement solicitor (BOA) is needed if a building goes up within three meters of an existing drain or public sewer. Any construction that requires underpinning, new foundations, piling, or basements must get approval from the local water utility.


The sewage can be maintained and repaired more easily thanks to a build-over agreement solicitor, which also gives the water company peace of mind that their work won’t damage the sewer under their feet. If you want to build near or over a public sewer, you must get the necessary permits from the water company.
Since October 2011, when the public took over the bulk of drains and sewers, the local water utility has been responsible for their upkeep and repairs.

Alternate possibilities other than a build-over pact

When applying for a build-over agreement with your local water provider, it’s important to consider the following scenarios.

Adapting plans to sidestep the drain

This is usually the least expensive and easiest option. Still, it is only workable for extensions if the original design doesn’t go too deep into the 3-meter range, and a little adjustment to the plan fixes the problem. Any changes to your plans will need approval from the local planning authorities, which might add time to the project’s completion.

Shifting the Location of Wastewater Pipes

To implement this option, you’ll need the aid of a professional designer and the blessing of the water provider. Furthermore, it may be too costly and disruptive to implement.
If all other alternatives have been exhausted, and you still want to apply for a BOA, you
should contact the water company serving your area. It’s a shame there isn’t a uniform set of rules to follow; instead, every water company has its own policies and rates.

A BOA Application

Together with the application form and money, you’ll need to provide basic scale drawings of the site, the proposed upgrades, and the drainage system. Here are some examples of the kinds of things you should typically send:

Drawing of the existing house’s drainage system

Inspection chamber locations and sewer locations should be specified, along with the
direction of sewage flow.

Your plan for the building and drainage systems

It’s important to make a note of where the inspection and sewage chambers are. If you wish to construct over the sewer, you must designate the locations of the current manholes that will be excavated and the new sections that will be constructed in the garden.

Diagrammatic depiction of the area

A preliminary conveyancing Blackburn is a street map drawn in the form of a survey, revealing where your home stands in relation to all of the other buildings and the road.

An outline of a section

This is often required only when building over or within 1.5 meters of a sewage system. The design must illustrate the impact of the sewage pipe on the new foundations and detail how you intend to bridge it, for example, using concrete lintels.

Exactly when does a BOA take place?

Water providers normally process applications for build-over agreement solicitors within three weeks after receipt. Once the water provider issues the agreement, you may begin working. When applications are submitted without the requisite drawings or information, delays can result.