Are you confused about which type of pipes you should use while constructing your dream home? Metal pipes or PVC?
PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) pipes have been used for the last 80 years. They are the most versatile and are acknowledged throughout the world. They serve a variety of applications in various sectors, such as household, commercial, agricultural, industrial applications across the world. These pipes are stronger, more durable, more corrosion-resistant and more thermal-resistant than metal pipes. Moreover, they are cost-effective and available in various lengths and sizes. But before you decide to install them, there are some things you need to know.
Dive into this blog to know more about these pipes!
What are PVC pipes?
From transfer of potable water to irrigation, PVC based pipes are used for various purposes. Polyvinyl chloride pipes are generally used in plumbing applications. They are versatile, affordable, easy to fit, and available in various sizes.
Polyvinyl chloride pipes are made by combining ethylene and chlorine. They are rigid and highly durable. They are widely used for plumbing as they are not affected by rust over time. Hence, they are great for cold and hot water supply. Moreover, these pipes are strong, sturdy, and suitable for high-pressure piping applications.
For residential, the only purpose is transportation of water, for commercial it’s the same and wiring makes it separate for drainage, agricultural and industrial applications. Some important uses of Polyvinyl chloride pipes are given below:
- Irrigation: They are commonly used for irrigation. Their features, such as longer shelf life, low friction makes them perfect for irrigation purposes. Ranchers and farmers use these pipes to distribute water evenly across the fields.
- Waste Management: PVC pipe manufacturers these days design these pipes so that they can be installed in any sector. They are corrosion and pests-resistant. Hence, these pipes are ideal for transporting waste. These pipes are easy to maintain and clean. It makes them crucial for sanitary environments.
- Electrical Wiring: Apart from the above uses, these pipes are made of non-conductive material. They are heat retardant. These features make them perfect for use in electrical wiring purposes.
- Water Transportation: Because of their ability to handle high water pressure, they are often used in commercial and residential places for water transportation. These pipes are used in industrial applications to transfer chemical waste, and toxic chemicals including gases. Additionally, these pipes are used for fire sprinklers and even at wastewater treatment plants.
These pipes are designed based on modern technology, making them durable and reliable. Contractors, plumbers, operators, and engineers highly recommend these pipes for various purposes. Because of the many advantages of Polyvinyl chloride pipes, they have replaced many traditional materials.
Some advantages of using these pipes are given below:
- Lightweight: They are lightweight, making them advantageous over alternative pipes as they can easily move from one place to another. Also, it is cheaper to transport these pipes than traditional piping materials.
- Provide flexibility: They are resistant to breakage and are made of more durable and stronger materials. Hence, they are used in places where the surface undergoes heavy external loading, such as road traffic. These pipes comprise a modulus of elasticity that reduces the increased magnitude of pressure, making them the best among other pressure pipes.
- Fire resistant: These pipes are made up of chlorine and ethylene. The fusion of these chemicals gives rise to polyvinyl chloride material. It has a high capacity to resist fire. Hence, these pipes are difficult to catch fire. Hence, burning these pipes without any external ignition source is hard.
- Food-grade material: These pipes ensure safety from non-toxic and high-quality materials. They are made from the world’s most tested and researched plastic. Hence, they are highly used for transferring drinking water.
- Coefficient of friction: The surface of these pipes has a low coefficient of friction, making the wall surface smoother. Hence, it increases the flow and pressure of a liquid and gives superior performance over its lifetime.
- Non-leaking joints: The major requirement of piping is related to joint tightness, and these pipes successfully resolve this issue in piping applications. These pipes are available with fusion joints that stop the liquid from leaking at the junctions and contaminated sites.
- Longer lengths: PVC pipe manufacturers design these pipes with a longer length compared to other pipes. It reduces the number of joints, reducing the chances of leakage and making the installation process faster and easier.
People prefer these pipes over traditional piping materials because of their advantages, such as strength, flexibility, longer shelf life, and more. Moreover, PVC pipes are easily installable in commercial and residential places. However, check them properly while buying and installing. If you are planning to install new pipes in your homes, go for PVC and ensure to go through the above-mentioned points while purchasing them.